Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Romance of Women in Western Art

Sometime last summer I discovered and saved to my YouTube favorites the following video, Women in Art. For the art lover and Romantic, it is a spectacular compilation of female artistic forms in western art over the last five centuries. As I have mentioned before, I minored in art (drawing & painting) when I was an undergraduate. Emma Alvarez whose blog I have listed under my Blogs With Class section presented the video on her site several months ago, I believe. Her comments about it can be read here. So here is Women in Art along with Bach's Sarabande from Suite for Solo Cello No. 1.




A companion to Women in Art is this also beautiful and breathtaking video also called Women in Art with Romantic imagery of women by a number of 19th century European artists like William Adolphe Bouguereau and the Pre-Raphaelites.


2 comments:

Emma Alvarez said...

Awesome the video of art by William Adolphe Bouguereau , it's full of sensitivity.
Excellent election.

Sincerae (means "Morningstar") said...

Emma,

I agree. The morph Women In Art video is amazing, but when I happened upon the second one with Bougereau et al, I was swept off my feet. It is beautiful along with the music.

Bouguereau is great. I have a book of post cards of his work that I got at a museum store. So sad that he is overlooked now. When I took art history, he was never mentioned:(

Sincerae Bonita Smith's Facebook profile