Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Very Romantic Song

While at the "ancestral" home on Thursday, which is the home of my deceased grandparents inherited by my aunt, after the Thanksgiving meal I overheard one of my all time favorite old songs playing on the television. I was in my aunt's room on my laptop, so I didn't see the singer of the song. The song is Our Love Is Here to Stay by George and Ira Gerswhin (1938). It was a very popular song and jazz standard which has been rendered by such singers as Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Nate King Cole, Frank Sinatra, and Diana Ross. Played sometimes with a big band sound, I get goose bumps whenever I hear it and have visions of 1940s style lovers. I cannot vouch for the younger generation in other countries, but rarely are genuine love songs produced in America anymore. Sex, not love and Romance sells sadly enough. At 45 I feel a little pre-historic sometimes in my outlook about Romance. Oh, well!

They don't make 'em like they used to. Here are the lyrics to Our Love Is Here to Stay, and also here is the song being sung by Lea Salonga.



It's very clear
Our love is here to stay
Not for a year ;
But ever and a day.

The radio and the telephone
And the movies that we know
May just be passing fancies,
And in time may go !

But, oh my dear,
Our love is here to stay.
Together we're
Going a long, long way.

In time the Rockies may crumble,
Gibralter may tumble,
They're only made of clay,
But our love is here to stay.

No comments:

Sincerae Bonita Smith's Facebook profile