Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Romance and Beauty of Turkish Commercials

There are some people who reside in Turkey who have to face up to the fact that I have no plans of returning there in the near future. My last sojourn to their nation exhausted me and terminated the love affair I once had with the country. Still I have some very fond memories of this bewildering nation which is a labyrinth of the good, the bad, and the ugly on so many levels, and for now, a mixture of east and west. Instead of dwelling on the negative there, these days I remember with gratitude the warm acts of kindness and hospitality I received from people I saw regularly on to the kindness and help of total strangers. If the Turks can ever get their system together and change some of their thinking, they could progress.

Not a week goes by when I do not get an e-mail from someone Turkish openly or subtly beckoning for me to come thither. I am sorry to let my friends and lover know that I have no plans to. I had my fill last year, and the thrill is just gone unless a miracle happens.

Anyway, on my last trip there in August through October of last year, I saw these two commercials which I found captivatingly creative. I think some Turkish commercials are far more intriguing and Romantic than their American counterparts. In the first commercial below, which is from a panty hose and tights company called Penti, I think the idea to have the patterns on some of the hose and tights metamorphose was very creative. I still own a pair of Penti black tights with a geometric pattern which I bought in Turkey in early 2007 when I was there for the fourth time teaching English at a language school.




This commercial is from a window company, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong...:) On seeing this it was the first time I ever experienced sand art.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ardent said...

I have not seen a lot of Turkish commercials; however they are both very romantic and intriguing. These two commercials also highlight that in some ways Turkey is very liberal and in other ways it is very old fashioned. But then again, in Australia we get some really well thought out commercials and then you get some that are incredibly inane and annoying.

Sincerae (means "Morningstar") said...

True Ardent. Better explained than I did.

Sincerae Bonita Smith's Facebook profile