Monday, January 14, 2008

Mexican Romantic: Alejandro Fernandez


Like many singers I love, I just happened upon Alejandro Fernandez by hearing one of his songs I liked on a CD I bought of Grammy Award Winning Latin singers.

Alejandro Fernandez is one of Mexico's most popular singers. He began his career singing mostly ranchera and mariachi music like his father Vicente Fernandez, another singer famous throughout Latin America. Alejandro has the nickname "El Potrillo" which means "the little colt." His father Vicente, is called "El Gran Garanon" meaning "the great stallion."

In the last several years, Alejandro Fernandez has changed his style to Romantic pop ballads, always sung in Spanish. He has partnered with singers like Gloria Estefan, Placido Domingo, Marc Anthony, and more recently with Beyonce.

At 36, Fernandez has been married twice and twice divorced. He has five children. He says of his music and himself, "“Romanticism is something that will never die. I’m super, ultra passionate."
I think of Alejandro Fernandez as a kind of Mexican Elvis, but sans (without) the moves. The following video is one of my favorite songs by him and is from his first acting effort Zapata: El sueno de un heroe; translated into English, "Zapata: The Dream of a Hero."


No comments:

Sincerae Bonita Smith's Facebook profile